"AppZero enables seamless migration of applications from one cloud environment to another, virtually eliminating the IT project costs typical of application migration."
Compare/contrast AppZero with machine image
appzero's OS-free application image-based approach to migration is fast. The market is accustomed to the use of machine images in application migration. appzero's OS-free application image approach takes all of the traditional advantages, avoids the disadvantages .... And adds a whole new set of gains for moving applications to and from the cloud.
The similarities shared by machine image and application image migration
Both approaches have the following in common:
- Broad platform support - including Windows, Linux and UNIX
- System portability - Note: the machine image approach moves an entire system's personality and AppZero moves the application. Both move to dissimilar hardware
- Physical and virtual migration (P2P, P2V, V2P and V2V)
- The application state can be captured for ease of cloning or movement
- Support for both DAS and SAN booting
Machine image migration considerations
When an entire image is moved, all of the infrastructure elements come with it, including: security systems, backup, monitoring, management and so on. This all inclusive aspect may not be appropriate for a new environment.
Differing machine configurations will also cause migration problems. For example, if multiple network segments are in use, or if new storage configurations are required, adjustments must all be made for each instance at the OS level. With appzero, these aspects can be set up as required in a standard way and the virtualized mount points and networking can simply be set to use the existing configuration.
appzero OS-free application migration pros:
- When you move an application as an appzero VAA, its image size will be 10-100 times smaller than as a machine image. This difference in size makes network move times significantly faster using appzero.
appzero's lighter application virtualization and isolation allows for a much higher density
- Offers cost savings on hardware, software, and OS licenses
- Target OS can be certified, hardened, etc.
- Application state, configuration can be layered, dramatically increasing reuse
Gold OS and gold application images can be dynamically composed
- Reduce the number of OS and applications to manage, patch, certify, etc
- Viruses can be dumped and cleansed via dynamic gold composition